Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Paso Garagiste Festival - Part 2

No intro this time - I'm going to jump right in where I left off:

Can you imagine the scene: Christian was delayed and running late with the wines for the second seminar. The first seminar is ending as the Cypher team arrives. We get things set up and start to hear how Christian wants us to handle the barrel tour and "Whoa! What??? You want me to pour at the event? What-When-Where-Why? Can I run away? Ack! What's a girl to do?"

OK. I realize at this point I'm considered an old tasting room hag/wine pourer wench and can handle this just fine. It's just that it makes the blog a wee bit more fun if I try to set up the drama.....I hope you understand....

barrel sample bottles
Anyhoo, let's get on to the details about the second seminar with Christian from Cypher Winery & Ryan Render from Rendario Vineyards. It was all about tasting wine to see what effect the oak from the barrels has on the wine. We're talking about oak from different areas (French, American, Hungarian, etc) different coopers (folks who make the wine) & different grains. Everyone in the class had two glasses, and I was one of four pourers that went down the aisles pouring Wine A and Wine B so people could go back and forth and compare the differences between the two wines. As we were doing this, Christian and Ryan talked about the different oaks and comparisons, walking people through what this oak or grain does to the wine so that people could really taste and understand it.

I do have to admit, I was so busy running around pouring wine that I didn't really listen to the details about what Christian & Ryan were saying - sorry! That said, I do remember Christian explaining why you use different oaks, grains and toast levels to add complexity to wine. Basically, he said, "If you don't use the variables in barrels to add complexity to wine, it would just be like only doing the missionary position for the rest of your life." I immediately said, "That's why I love this man!"

Here's a fabulous shot of Ryan & Christian doing their thing:


Now as I was pouring, I had to deal with this nasty, rowdy table that kept heckling me through the event. I bet most of you at this point could rightly guess that it was SAM from Cypher Winery. Yes, SAM LOVES to cause a scene wherever she goes and this was no exception. But don't worry, I gave them hell right back & held my own by making them pose for a picture on the blog. On the left is (passed out) Jericho from Twist Salon, then SAM and her friend Dennis, who is trying to convince SAM to pour wine into his mouth...oh dear.....


And I have to feature this pretty hilarious photo of Christian with his right hand assistant winemaker, Katie:


I'm guessing that they're saying: "Fuck you all you losers who didn't buy tickets to the fabulous Paso Garagiste event. It SOLD OUT Bitches!"

Now I have no idea if that's what they're really saying but I'm here typing, drinking bubbles, and somehow it seems appropriate.

So all the pouring during this class and the clean-up after simply took it out of me. I was pooped and it was only 1pm! What's a girl to do? Head over to the Cass Catering Truck and get fabulous tacos prepared by the amazing Chef Jacob (whom most of you know has been on the blog multiple times...) Jacob and his sidekick Ben prepared excellent butternut squash tacos for me that had cream fraiche and tangy salsa on them. Super good, and just what a girl needed to fuel up and keep going.

Here's Chef Jacob creating his taco masterpieces:


I love you, Jacob!!!

So this blog is short and sweet, with the next blog focusing on the main event: Sarah running around trying to check out as many wineries as possible. On this next blog, I will announce my favorite new winery find.

Viva La Paso Garagiste!

No comments:

Post a Comment