Monday, June 27, 2011

Viva la Vouvray!

Boyfriend and I were at 15C the other night, having a little food. While we're hanging out, out of the blue, the most wonderful Carly pours us a little vino in a glass. "What on Earth is this?" we ask. She answers that it's her new, favorite wine that Ali just started carrying at the shop. It's called Vouvray, and it's a Chenin Blanc from France - Appellation Vouvray Controlee (yes, whatever that means!)

My God, we were just amazed at the wine. It is the epitome of everything I would ever hope for in a white wine. Now I used to be a Sauvingnon Blanc from New Zealand girl (I should have bought stock in Kim Crawford, given how much of that wine I drank) but now I find my palate is changing. New Zealand Sauvingnon Blancs can be too harsh for me now. The grassiness that I used to love now bothers me. That's why the Vouvray has me on my knees. It is gorgeously perfect. In fact, I loved it so much, Miss Carly poured out the rest of her bottle for us - how kind is that? As she said, "That's what good wine is all about. Sharing with friends over good conversation." No wonder I always go back to 15C again and again.

So while talking to Carly about it, we found that she only had one bottle left! Ali had only gotten a few bottles just to give it a try - and Carly bought up a few of them :) But there was one left, and at the price point of $15, we had to nab it. (No worries though folks, Ali already has more in stock as the wine was such a hit.)

So we brought it home, and since today was a hot day, we decided to crack the vino open tonight to see if it was as good as we remembered. And yes, oh yes, it was. It it literally creamy & silky on the palate. I don't think I've ever had a white wine that was so smooth. It is pure apricots and peaches, with a tad of sweetness, though not overly sweet in any way. I've had quite a few Chenin Blancs and most have fallen short for me, but this wine is the epitome of what I think a white wine should be, and a gorgeous display of what Chenin Blanc can achieve. Yeah, you can maybe tell that I like this wine :)

On the back of the bottle, it says that the wine was made my Jean-Claude Pichot. He produced the wine in the family tradition, which dates back all the way to 1774! Daniel Haas of Vineyard Brands apparently found this wine and had it imported to the U.S. I now just have to find Daniel Haas so that I can give him a hug, thanking him for bringing this wine to me - HA!

So I highly recommend that y'all call Ali or Carly @ 15C in Templeton, CA and have them save (or send) you a bottle of Vouvray. Boyfriend doesn't love white wines but on this one he is totally sold, which means a lot - so I'm placing bets that you'll like it too!

And I have to say how touched I am that Carly shared this wine with us. If she hadn't, I never would have picked this wine off the shelf to try it. I simply would not have had any idea that it would be a good find. I appreciate Carly so much that we went back to do a photo op of her and I with the bottle! Thanks, my dear Carly. 15C is lucky to have you!

VIVA LA VOUVRAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment