Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chris, Melani & the Barrel Tour!

Have you ever had the chance to have tons of fun on a workday? So much fun that you are *so* thankful to have the job you have? Well that was me this past Sunday! And it all happened because Chris & Melani stopped in.

Chris and Melani are from the L.A. area and came to Paso Robles to do some wine tasting. They were getting ready to head out of town, when they stopped into Cypher Winery. But that's when I hijacked them - keeping them there for the full tasting plus a barrel tour - we had a ball!




Speaking of the barrel tour - it is a lot of fun. When Chris and Melani were about to try the '08 Monarchy (our malbec and petit verdot blend) we popped out of the tasting to do the barrel tour, trying what is to become the '09 Monarchy. First we got to sample malbec in two different barrels. Our Californian malbec is grown on the Santa Margarita ranch and has a lot of fruit to it. Jammy blackberry and boysenberry notes - we call it merlot of steroids! Then we sampled two barrells of petit verdot. The petit verdot has less fruit and more tannin - but it gives the backbone to the malbec to make the big, bordeaux style wine. In fact one client had called the petit verdot the vampire wine. He said, "It will suck you dry!"

After sampling, I made my own version of the '09 Monarchy. The '08 Monrachy is basically half and half malbec and petit verdot, with a touch of tempranillo.  So that's what I did - 25% of each barrel with a splash of tempranillo - it was a hit! I became winemaker for a day. Well, at least Chris and Melani were nice making me feel like I was a winemaker - HA!


Afterwards we hung out together, having some food (and a bit more wine......) before they got on the road. It was one of those instant connections that I will never forget, and I definitely am planning to stay in touch with them. In fact, my boyfriend and I are planning a trip down to L.A. just so we can see them again! 

Thanks Chris & Melani. You two are what makes my job fun for me.

Lots of love to you two!!

No comments:

Post a Comment